ATV aerial gain tests : full results
Subject list :
- FM/DAB results
- Test results (full) of Group A aerials
- Test results (full) of Group B aerials
- Test results (full) of Group K aerials
- Test results (full) of Group E aerials
- Test results (full) of Wideband aerials
- Test results (full) of all the grouped aerials
- Small Log Periodic aerials
- Test of SAC MUX Master economy Tri Boom aerial
FM and DAB approx aerial gain differences
Such is the Black Art nature of RF all aerial test readings are approximate, in fact as far as I know no lab will guarantee accuracy better than +/- 0.5dB.
It must be admitted that these particular results are less accurate than that (unlike our TV aerial tests) but they still give a pretty reliable indication of the relative performance of the various antennas.
The “variable” figures result from the directional nature of the particular aerial. This doesn’t apply to the TV aerials, they’re variable because they’re not even designed to pick up VHF frequencies !
Note that if the 3 element aerials were pointing directly away from the transmitter you’d probably lose more than the - 5dB quoted for the FM3. Though you would be pretty unlucky if you were to align your aerial like that !